CICAF 2017 preliminaries
What is CICAF?
CICAF stands for China International Cartoon & Animation festival. At CICAF the yearly China CICAF Grand Cosplay Awards show is held.
After having successfully ran a run of 8 preceding seasons of this prestigious championship, the Awards have now attained widespread popularity, and is said to be the largest in China (and perhaps, even of the world) upholding the highest standards within competitive cosplay, with an unbreakable record of the most number of participants from the most expansive regions of China. The Awards’ preliminaries stretch from the end-of-year periods, to May of its following year when the next annual CICAF in Hangzhou begins.
The Awards, since its rise in popularity in 2008, have achieved a whole new level. Under the new directive of Ye Ming, the Vice-Mayor of Hangzhou, founder of ‘The China CICAF Grand Cosplay Awards’ itself, COSPLAY has become a highly-recognized quality sport of China, and its Championship, an entire new achievement and standard of its own. ‘The China CICAF Grand Cosplay Awards’ is fully-funded and supported by the official authorities of China, and most well-received amongst the influential parties in the commercial comic/animation industry.
In the 2013 edition of ‘The China CICAF Grand Cosplay Awards’ a new initiative is introduced: ‘The International Awards’ category, which will be a competition of representatives from international countries and the winning team of China, away from the ‘Domestic Championship’. Countries such as Japan, Thailand,
Korea, Denmark and Hongkong have now confirmed their participation in this growing championship, and with their international involvement, will further improve the image and prestige of the ‘The China CICAF Grand Cosplay Awards’.
You will be competing for a place in the 2018 finals which will be held at China International Cartoon and Animation Festival in Hangzhou, China.
You can now sign up here for this and other cosplay competitions.
With the addition of WCS a few new spots have been created, get them while you can!
When signing up for this competition, you will in any case need to provide us with:
- Small storyboard about your act in 5-10 lines of text
- A ticket number (If you have a free ticket, please state so)
Without these, your entry will not be valid.
Not required for watching.
Aside from the usual rules, the following applies:
Visitors of this specific event are allowed to take pictures of the event. All entrants need to agree to this if they want to compete in this event. A special entry for this purpose has been added to the Cosplay Competition registration form. However, it is NOT allowed, to use FLASH photography! Remember other people's personal (as well as third parties) rights will always apply, but what you do with YOUR pictures/recordings is YOUR OWN responsibility!
- For Cosplay weapons guidelines read the house rules/huisregels. Dutch weapons law will always apply!
- Only teams of two contestants can enter this competition.
- You must be a citizen in one of the BeNeLux countries.
- You and your team must wear self-made costumes.
- You may use small props that were store bought.
- You must perform a brief act on stage that may not exceed 180 seconds.*
- Once entered, you will get a script form to fill in the details of your act. This will have to be handed in on Saturday 13th of May, 23:59h at the latest.
- With your script, you will also have to provide:
- Work in Progress pictures,
- Reference pictures,
- Any audio/video you want to use during the skit.
- Teams may not use: Any items that can spill on the stage, like bubbles, glitter, confetti etc.
- Teams may not use: Live fire, dry ice, live steel weapons or other things that could be a danger to yourself or others.
- You must attend the Anime festival at least on Friday.
- You must be 18 years or older in January 1st 2018 if you want to compete.
- Your Cosplay must be from a Cartoon/Anime, Comic/Manga, Animated Movie
or Game. It may not be a fictional character you or your friends created.
- You must be available for travel to China around the end of April, beginning of May 2018.
- You must not have been refused entry to China before.
*Please note that at ‘The International Awards’ in China, your act should be between 3 and 5 minutes.
If you have questions regarding the Cosplay Competition, kindly direct them to us, using the appropriate forum
(Before you submit a question, please browse the forum to see if your question has already been answered) or send us an e-mail using our contact form
(choose 'Cosplay Event' from the subject dropdown menu).
'Whole Weekend' and 'Friday Only' visitors.
Friday June 9th: time tba
For legal and safety reasons we are not allowed to exceed the Archonia room's maximum capacity. For the people that will miss out we will try to show a recording.